A recipe by Julie Le Clerc
The inclusion of fruity Spanish olive oil in this cake lends it an almost pudding-like texture.
- 1 cup Hojiblanca Spanish olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 ½ cups cored and peeled and coarsely cubed pears
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Grease and lightly dust a 22 cm spring-form cake tin with flour.
- Combine Spanish olive oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until thick and pale.
- Sift flour and spices into a large bowl, pour in wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Stir in walnuts and cubes of pear.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin, taking care to evenly distribute the fruit.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out a little moist but clean.
- Dust finished cake with icing sugar and slice to serve warm.